Let’s take a look at simple ways you can prepare your spaces for your in home newborn session.
Preparing your home for your newborn photography session is not as hard as it sounds…trust me!
First of all we will only be using 2-3 areas in your home. How do you know which of the areas we will be using? That’s simple, they will be the areas in your home that provide ample natural light. If you are not sure which areas in your home have the best light, we can discuss your options and I can help you make that determination.
Now that we have narrowed down the areas you need to prepare for your newborn photography session, here are a few simple things you can do to make your session memorable.
- Remove the clutter. A common area to use for newborn pictures is the master bedroom. Remove any excess items from the nightstands by your bed. If you have a bassinet in your room AND it is simple to remove, please place it out and away from your bed. Another room I like to use for newborn pictures is the nursery. If you have diaper changing materials on the changing table, please place those items in a basket and remove them from sight. Empty the kitchen sink, toss all the mail into a basket, remove excess pillows, and place winter wear out of sight. Removing clutter means removing those essential items you use everyday, but are not necessarily pretty to look at.
- Open your window treatments. Yes! This is one of the most important steps and it is so simple. This will save us time during your session if you push your drapes to the side, open or pull up blinds, and push open shutters. Window treatments look beautiful in rooms and create a nice cozy look, BUT we need the sunshine to create beautiful light filled images. So, let’s see those windows!
- Bring in fresh flowers. I love how having a fresh flower arrangement brings life and color to a space. It is a simple way to dress up a room and make it feel more special. It’s like jewelry for your living space. If we are celebrating the arrival of your baby girl, how about a small arrangement of pink roses or a beautiful bouquet of white and green flowers for a baby boy? Think about adding this special touch and trust me, I will find a fun way to include it in your images. It can be as simple as Trader Joe’s daisies or have fun, and take a trip to the Flower Market!
- Turn off ALL the lights in your home. I do not use any type of artificial lighting with my photography. Hallway lights, night lights, even light coming from other rooms in the house must be turned off. I only want your images to be filled with beautiful natural light. This is a great job for the kids to do prior to my arrival.
- Regulate your home’s temperature. Since this is a newborn session, most newborns are more comfortable in warm settings. Please consider having your home slightly warmer than usual. This is not something you need to do all the time since baby is usually snuggled in warmer clothing, swaddled, or being held, but it does help if I am taking pictures of your baby that they are comfortable and warm.
I cannot wait to help you prepare your family and home for your newborn session. It really is supposed to be a relaxed and celebratory time for your family. Keep it simple, your home does not have to be perfect. Did you notice I did not say vacuuming the whole house, washing windows, dusting base boards, etc. ??? Taking a few simple steps to prepare your spaces will enhance your newborn session experience and your final images. If you’d like to see more in home newborn photographs, take a look through my gallery!